Stephanie Hayden, Executive Director
Stephanie has a long history of working in education and youth-focused organizations. After graduating with a degree in marketing from Marian University, she worked for various non-profit organizations before becoming the Director of Communications and Public Affairs for the Racine Unified School District. While there, she directed public relations efforts for Wisconsin’s fourth largest school district. In 2009, Stephanie moved to the Madison area to become the Communications Specialist for the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. During her time there, she worked to improve the lives of children across Wisconsin by leading a statewide communications and outreach program.
In October 2011, Stephanie transitioned into her new role as Executive Director of the Foundation. She is very excited to lead the Foundation as it moves forward so that our community and children continue to realize a brighter future. Stephanie is committed to bringing the community together to support and improve Madison’s public schools and children’s experiences.
Outside of her professional life, Stephanie loves to read, travel, and above all, spend time with her two children Maddy & Noah.
Mary Bartzen, Community Partnerships Director
Mary came to the Foundation in 2003 to establish the Principal for a Day program, now known as A Principal Experience. Subsequently, close to 400 community members have had the opportunity to serve as Principal Partners, spending a morning in one of our public schools, gaining a deeper understanding of public education in Madison.
As the Community Partnerships Director, Mary also manages the Adopt-a-School program, which forges structured partnerships between organizations, businesses, State agencies, and Madison’s public schools. Mary’s goal is to facilitate enduring partnerships, which are mutually beneficial and ultimately improve student achievement.
Mary works with the schools to grow their school endowments as well as utilize the income the school endowments generate through a grant process established at each school.
Earlier in her career, Mary worked for US Bank. She is active in the community, is a graduate of Leadership Greater Madison, and has served as president of the Junior League of Madison. She is a graduate of UW-Madison and she and her husband enjoy being the parents of two Memorial High School students.
Donna Faulkner, Office Administrator
Donna joined the Foundation for Madison’s Public schools in June 2011, bringing with her 10 years of nonprofit experience with a statewide youth-focused organization, where she helped to grow assets by nearly 50%. Donna strongly supports initiatives that provide youth opportunities to experience new challenges and reach for new horizons.
As the Office Administrator for the Foundation, Donna has been able to enhance partnerships between the Foundation and the Madison Metropolitan School District. Her responsibilities include donor and financial management, handling new and existing funds, and office and IT management.
Donna has been married to her Madison Memorial sweetheart, Bill, for 23 years. They have two sons, Thomas and Matthew.
2012-13 Board of Directors
- Elizabeth Heiner, Chair – Boardman & Clark
- Kathie Nichols, Chair-Elect – First United Methodist Church
- Annette Miller, Vice Chair/Secretary – Madison Gas & Electric
- John Hemming, Treasurer –Wipfli, LLP
- Bonnie Augusta, MMSD Retiree
- Darcy Burke – Community Volunteer
- Carol Carstensen – Retired, MMSD Board of Education
- Jennifer Cheatham – MMSD Superintendent (non-voting)
- Maurice Cheeks – Filament Games
- Karen Crossley – Special Community Projects
- Troy Dassler – Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation
- Eve Degen – Madison Teachers, Inc.
- John Duffy – Associated Bank
- Nancy Evans – MMSD Retiree
- Clyde Gaines – University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Peg Geisler – Community Volunteer
- Barbara Gerlach – MMSD Educator
- Sandy Gunderson – MMSD Retiree; Education Consultant
- Steve Hartley – Interim MMSD Chief of Staff
- Jennifer Hannon – Godfrey & Kahn
- Ed Hughes – MMSD Board of Education (non voting)
- Sari Ratner Judge – University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Tim McIlwain – Stickney & McIlwain with Lincoln Financial Group
- Phil Ouellette – Lindsay, Stone & Briggs
- Dora Zúñiga – Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dane County