Stephanie Hayden, Executive Director
Stephanie has a long history of working in education and youth-focused organizations. After graduating with a degree in marketing from Marian University, she worked for various non-profit organizations before becoming the Director of Communications and Public Affairs for the Racine Unified School District. While there, she directed public relations efforts for Wisconsin’s fourth largest school district. In 2009, Stephanie moved to the Madison area to become the Communications Specialist for the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. During her time there, she worked to improve the lives of children across Wisconsin by leading a statewide communications and outreach program.
In October 2011, Stephanie transitioned into her new role as Executive Director of the Foundation. She is very excited to lead the Foundation as it moves forward so that our community and children continue to realize a brighter future. Stephanie is committed to bringing the community together to support and improve Madison’s public schools and children’s experiences.
Outside of her professional life, Stephanie loves to read, travel, and above all, spend time with her two children Maddy & Noah.
Mary Bartzen, Community Partnerships Director
Mary came to the Foundation in 2003 to establish the Principal for a Day program, now known as A Principal Experience. Subsequently, close to 500 community members have had the opportunity to serve as Principal Partners, spending a morning in one of our public schools, gaining a deeper understanding of public education in Madison.
As the Community Partnerships Director, Mary also manages the Adopt-a-School program, which forges structured partnerships between organizations, businesses, State agencies, and Madison’s public schools. Mary’s goal is to facilitate enduring partnerships, which are mutually beneficial and ultimately improve student achievement.
Mary works with the schools to grow their school endowments as well as utilize the income the school endowments generate through a grant process established at each school.
Earlier in her career, Mary worked for US Bank. She is active in the community, is a graduate of Leadership Greater Madison, and has served as president of the Junior League of Madison. She is a graduate of UW-Madison and she and her husband enjoy being the parents of two Memorial High School students.
Valerie Chesnik, Communications & Development Manager
Donna Faulkner, Office Administrator
Donna joined the Foundation for Madison’s Public schools in May 2011, bringing with her 10 years of nonprofit experience with a statewide youth-focused organization, where she helped to grow assets by nearly 50%. Donna strongly supports initiatives that provide youth opportunities to experience new challenges and reach for new horizons.
As the Office Administrator for the Foundation, Donna has been able to enhance partnerships between the Foundation and the Madison Metropolitan School District. Her responsibilities include donor and financial management, handling new and existing funds, and office and IT management.
Donna has been married to her Madison Memorial sweetheart, Bill, for 25 years. They have two sons, Thomas and Matthew.
2014-15 Board of Directors
- Annette Miller, Chair – Madison Gas & Electric
- Jennifer A. Hannon, Chair-Elect – Godfrey & Kahn
- John B. Duffy, Vice Chair/Secretary – Associated Bank
- Jessica MacNaughton, Treasurer – Wipfli, LLP
- Jeff Breisach – UW Board Leadership Program (non-voting)
- Kate Brien – MMSD Educator
- Darcy Burke – Community Volunteer
- Olivia Butler – UW Board Leadership Program (non-voting)
- Jennifer Cheatham – MMSD Superintendent (non-voting)
- Maurice Cheeks – Wisconsin Technology Council
- Karen Crossley – Morgridge Center
- Clyde Gaines – University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Margaret P. Geisler – Community Volunteer
- Barbara Gerlach – MMSD Educator
- Susan Goodwin – Community Volunteer
- Sandra Gunderson – MMSD Retiree; Education Consultant
- Steve Hartley – MMSD Retiree
- Ed Hughes – MMSD Board of Education (non voting)
- Donna V. Hurd – Perkins Coie
- Sari Ratner Judge – University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Timothy McIlwain – Stickney & McIlwain with Lincoln Financial Group
- Kathie J. Nichols – Community Volunteer
- Nichelle Nichols – Boys & Girls Club of Dane County
- Kathryn Price – MMSD Retiree
- John W. Van Note – Mohs, McDonald, Widder, Paradise and Van Note Law Firm
- Jane Villa – Community Volunteer
- Michael Walsh – Rock Valley Education Professionals
- Lawrence Torry Winn – WCCF Race to Equity Project